Is there a way to get a divorce without a trial if the couple is amicable?

While North Carolina retains marital fault grounds for spousal support, there is a “no fault” standard for absolute divorce. This means if you are a resident of the state and have separated for more than 12 months, and it is the intent of one spouse to remain separate, you can get an absolute divorce (which means you can remarry, but there may still be issues pending from your separation). While a complaint has to be filed, most divorces are uncontested. Usually, only the party who filed for the divorce testifies. You can also request a “summary judgment” divorce if the parties agree and no one has to appear in court.