Civil and Criminal Actions Against Your Abuser

Your abuser can face both civil and criminal actions which can be filed at the same time. If you have been assaulted or threatened, you can go to a local magistrate and take out a warrant against the offender.

You can file a civil lawsuit against your abuser to get assistance – in addition to the Domestic Violence Protective Order – such as temporary possession of your home or access to some other safe housing. Child custody and support can also be temporarily awarded to you. The Court can prohibit your abuser from possessing a firearm and order him or her to undergo a treatment program for abusers.