Child Support Payment Enforcement

When the paying parent fails to make his or her child support payments, the ex-spouse can file a legal action to have them found in contempt of court. The North Carolina courts and Child Support Enforcement Agency take the matter of child support non-payment seriously. A judge will force the non-paying parent to pay the amount owed and may order penalties such as wage garnishment, tax refund penalties, property seizure, attorney fees or even time in jail.