What is an Appeal in North Carolina?

In North Carolina, family law cases are tried in District Courts. If you believe the District Court made a mistake in deciding your case, you can ask a higher court – the North Carolina Court of Appeals – to review the decision. Also, in some cases, you can request review by the Supreme Court of North Carolina.

You must file a “notice of appeal” within 30 days after the final order is entered by the District Court judge in your case. To meet appellate filing deadlines, you should consult with an experienced appeals lawyer immediately if you feel an appeal is appropriate in your case.