Modification of Spousal Support Payments

The court can modify spousal support payments at any time. To obtain a modification order, a spouse must show a significant change in circumstances – such as a promotion with higher income benefits or other increase in earnings, a job loss, a medical disability or a financial emergency. If the paying spouse remarries and has an additional child to support, the court may modify his or her spousal support payments to the ex-spouse.